- 2 28-ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes, broken up with your hands
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3/4 pound sweet or hot Italian sausage links
- 12 ounces cavatappi or some other short pasta
- 3 cups baby spinach (2 1/2 ounces)
- grated Parmesan, for serving
- Heat oven to 450° F. On a rimmed baking sheet, mix the tomatoes (with their juices) and garlic with the oil, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Roast until the tomatoes have charred in spots and the juices have thickened, 40 to 45 minutes.
- After the tomatoes have roasted for 20 minutes, place the sausage on a second rimmed baking sheet. Roast, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 15 to 17 minutes. Thinly slice the sausage.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve ¼ cup of the cooking water; drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add the tomatoes, sausage, spinach, and 2 tablespoons of the cooking water and toss to combine (add more cooking water if the pasta seems dry). Sprinkle with the Parmesan.
(ingredients and directions taken straight from charlyne mattox, real simple magazine)
This recipe is seriously delicious. Hands-on time was only about 15 minutes. My family loved it! Also – that bread you see there was homemade by yours truly!